Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • Boston Sports
    • LOCAL BOSTON SPORTS NEWS
    • Massachusetts
    • New England Sports
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Privacy & policy
    Home»Local Boston Sports»Alex Cora issues challenge to Marcelo Mayer ahead of Red Sox Opening Day
    Local Boston Sports

    Alex Cora issues challenge to Marcelo Mayer ahead of Red Sox Opening Day

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsFebruary 21, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Alex Cora issues challenge to Marcelo Mayer ahead of Red Sox Opening Day
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email



    FORT MYERS, Fla. – Amidst ongoing evaluations of the Red Sox infield options, manager Alex Cora simultaneously hinted at the preferred position for Marcelo Mayer and issued him a strongly-worded challenge.

    “If he wants to be the starting second baseman in Cincinnati, there’s a lot of work to do,” Cora said Friday morning. “It’s not a given that he’s second baseman or third baseman for this team.”

    The Red Sox selected Mayer, now 23, with the fourth overall pick in the 2021 MLB draft, their highest selection in decades. He’s a natural shortstop, but his path to playing there in the majors was blocked first by Xander Bogaerts, who opted out of his contract after the 2022 season, and now by Trevor Story, who signed a six-year free-agent deal with Boston before the ‘22 season and played second until Bogaerts departed. Story opted into the remaining two years of his contract last fall.

    Mayer made his long-awaited debut late last May, as a roster replacement for injured third baseman Alex Bregman. With Bregman sidelined, Mayer played 39 games and 248 2/3 total innings at third, including 28 starts and 20 complete games. His covered second for eight games (57 innings) and subbed in at shortstop for three innings between two contests.

    It was an impressive adjustment for Mayer, whose minor league career included just six games and 48 1/3 innings of third-base experience. The issue was his bat, particularly against left-handed pitching. He hit .248 with a .739 OPS in 109 plate appearances against righties, but managed just .154 and a .416 OPS in 27 PAs against southpaws. Cora also kept Mayer, and select other players, including Wilyer Abreu, away from lefties at certain points last season, something he doesn’t plan to do as much this year.

    There were a few offensive highlights, such as Mayer’s first career home run, at Yankee Stadium last June, but on the whole his offensive performance wasn’t what he or the Red Sox expected.

    “He wasn’t great offensively last year,” the manager said bluntly. “He’ll be the first one to tell you that. Defensively, he was excellent. Base-running-wise, he’s really good. But offensively, there’s more. We know that, but he has to show he can handle this.”

    Mayer has spent most of camp working at second base, while newcomer Caleb Durbin, one of three infielders acquired from the Milwaukee Brewers early last week, primarily manned third. While Durbin underwent a last-minute root canal Friday morning, Mayer slid over to the hot corner.

    But in addition to Romy Gonzalez, whose lingering shoulder ailment from last season will likely keep him from the Opening Day roster, the Red Sox have 2020 Gold Glove winner Brendan Rodgers in camp on a minor league deal, and the switch-hitting utility-man Nick Sogard. Other infield options on the 40-man roster include Kristian Campbell, Tsung-Che Cheng, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Andruw Monasterio and Anthony Seigler.

    “There’s a lot of things that he needs to show us this spring, and we expect him to do that because he’s that talented,” Cora said, “but at the same time, there’s a lot of guys here that can do the job.”

    “AC made it clear that I’m still looking for a job,” Mayer told MLB’s Ian Browne. “So wherever it is they need me to play, that’s what I’m going to do.”

    Durability is also a notable concern for Mayer and the Red Sox. He suffered injuries in each of the last four seasons, to his wrist (2022, 2025), shoulder (2023), back (2022, 2024) and lumbar (2024). In August 2024, he told the Herald he was surprised to be promoted to Triple-A Worcester alongside fellow top prospects Roman Anthony and Kyle Teel. Mayer was on the Double-A injured list at the time, and ultimately missed the rest of the season.

    Mayer underwent season-ending right wrist arthroscopy last August, and as a result is slightly behind fellow position players as he reacclimates his wrist to hitting through live batting practice and the Trajekt machine. He’s expected to make his Grapefruit League debut next week.

    Cora’s statements may be the most strongly-worded so far, but challenging Mayer dates back to the early weeks of the offseason. The Red Sox tasked him with building strength during the offseason, in hopes it would help his body better withstand the rigors of a full season, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow explained on more than one occasion in recent months.

    Mayer reported to camp noticeably bigger and stronger. Step 1, complete.

    “He has a chance to come into camp and compete and show us what he’s capable of doing,” Breslow said last week. “We’ve had a lot of excitement around him for a long time and we’re looking forward for that to come out in his play.”

    The rest is up to Mayer.

    “We’ll give him the baton,” Cora said, “but he has to run.”



    Source link

    ahead Alex Challenge Cora day Issues Marcelo Mayer opening Red Sox
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleCampbell seizing OF opportunities, and more Red Sox spring training notes
    Next Article Spring Training Game Thread: Northeastern Huskies at Red Sox
    BostonSportsNews

    Related Posts

    Spring Training Game Thread: Northeastern Huskies at Red Sox

    February 21, 2026

    Campbell seizing OF opportunities, and more Red Sox spring training notes

    February 20, 2026

    Bagpipers play at Olympic curling in homage to sport’s Scottish heritage — but they’re Italian

    February 20, 2026

    Left-hander Ranger Suárez and Boston Red Sox finalize $130 million, 5-year contract – Boston News, Weather, Sports

    February 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Recent Posts

    • Major League Soccer opens the season with eyes on the World Cup and a schedule shift in 2027 – Boston News, Weather, Sports
    • Spring Training Game Thread: Northeastern Huskies at Red Sox
    • Alex Cora issues challenge to Marcelo Mayer ahead of Red Sox Opening Day
    • Campbell seizing OF opportunities, and more Red Sox spring training notes
    • NBA Player Props Today Friday 2/20/2026

    Recent Comments

    No comments to show.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Privacy & policy
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?