It’s been more than a week and a half since pitchers and catchers reported to Red Sox camp, and while spring training games won’t officially begin until this weekend, several players have already stood out — for better or worse.

Who has gotten off to a good start? And who has fallen behind out of the gate? Here’s a look at where things stand after the first week of spring workouts.

Three up

Wilyer Abreu, RF

If there’s one player on the roster who looks primed to take a big step forward it’s Wilyer Abreu.

Having won back-to-back Gold Gloves at right field in his first two seasons as a big league regular, Abreu is expected to get everyday at bats despite the club’s crowded outfield picture. Manager Alex Cora has frequently expressed his desire for Abreu to get regular opportunities against left-handed pitching, so if he can stay healthy, Abreu should be well positioned to exceed his career highs of 132 games and 447 plate appearances.

Abreu is also set to play for Team Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic, a notable achievement given that Abreu had yet to make his MLB debut during the last tournament in 2023.

Red Sox pitcher Aroldis Chapman throws during a spring training baseball workout in Fort Myers, Fla., Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Aroldis Chapman, LHP

No one was surprised when Aroldis Chapman showed up at Red Sox camp last spring throwing gas, but what ultimately allowed him to enjoy one of the best seasons of his career was his vastly improved command.

It’s still early, but so far it appears Chapman has carried over those gains into the new season.

“You can see right now it wasn’t a fluke,” Cora told reporters in Fort Myers on Sunday. “Two bullpens he’s 20 out of 23 in the strike zone, 25 out of 30 in the strike zone.”

Even heading into his age-38 season, Chapman is still one of the best relievers in baseball. If the Red Sox hope to realize their championship ambitions, they’re going to need him to stay that way.

Triston Casas, 1B/DH

Triston Casas hasn’t reached a point where he’s been cleared to take part in full squad workouts, but the Red Sox slugger has still made remarkable progress in his recovery from the ruptured patellar tendon that cut his season short last May.

Cora said on Monday that they have to make sure his workload is consistent with his rehab, but that he’s been moving well.

“I saw him jumping for some throws yesterday, moving to his right, to his left, it’s impressive,” Cora said. “He made a decision to stay here in the offseason and the medical team, the trainers and the strength and conditioning coaches, they did an amazing job with him. I’m very happy for him.”

Three down

Romy Gonzalez, INF

This has been a rough spring for Romy Gonzalez, who suffered a shoulder injury toward the end of last season that has lingered throughout the entire offseason. Gonzalez suffered a setback in January that forced him to restart his progression, and according to Tim Healey of The Boston Globe, he received a PRP injection that to this point hasn’t helped him get back on the field.

As of this writing, Gonzalez still hasn’t resumed baseball activities and has fallen behind as the club begins ramping up for Opening Day. It’s looking increasingly likely Gonzalez will start the season on the 15-day injured list, providing an opening for guys like Andruw Monasterio, Nate Eaton and Nick Sogard, all of whom are in the mix for one of the last bench spots.

Kutter Crawford, RHP

Coming off an entire season lost to injury, Kutter Crawford couldn’t afford any additional setbacks leading into what should be a fiercely contested battle for the last starting rotation spot. But then Crawford came down with the flu and lost around 10 pounds last month, which cost him a week of action and put him behind the other contenders.

Crawford hasn’t experienced any trouble with his knee or wrist, which were the issues that sidelined him throughout 2025, but he’ll have less room for error once Grapefruit League play begins.

“It’s still early,” Cora said on Monday of Crawford. “You never know what could happen in a week.”

Boston Red Sox outfielder Masataka Yoshida goes through drills during a spring training baseball workout in Fort Myers, Fla., Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Masataka Yoshida, DH

Masataka Yoshida is finally healthy after being limited due to injury throughout the past two seasons, but his future with the Red Sox remains in doubt.

The 32-year-old, who will once again suit up for Team Japan in the World Baseball Classic later this spring, remains an awkward roster fit leading into the new season. The Red Sox have four other starting-caliber outfielders who are superior defensive players and who will rotate through the designated hitter spot, and DH at bats could become more competitive once Casas eventually works his way back from injury.

As the Red Sox found out last year, all it could take is one or two injuries to turn the club’s outfield surplus into a deficit, so the team will most likely let things play out this spring. But if the club eventually has to make a decision, don’t be surprised if Yoshida follows right-hander Jordan Hicks out the door in another salary dump, or if the club releases him outright, eating the remaining two years and $37.2 million on his deal in the process.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version