Maybe the Boston Red Sox weren’t all that forthcoming about Roman Anthony’s hand injury after all.

Initially, Red Sox interim manager Chad Tracy labeled Anthony as “day-to-day” with the injury, which he suffered on an awkward check swing last week in Detroit. The club claimed Anthony could avoid a stint on the injured list and return after a few days of rest, but two days later, Anthony was placed on the 10-day IL.

Anthony was optimistic he’d return on Friday, the first day he’s eligible to come off the IL. However, Tracy revealed on Tuesday that the 21-year-old hasn’t resumed baseball activities, adding that it’s “hard to say” whether Anthony will be back on Friday.

“I shouldn’t answer that, I can’t answer that,” Tracy said. “It’s hard to say because it’s something that if it improves quickly — he hasn’t been out that long — that maybe he would feel comfortable with that.”

Anthony showed up to Fenway Park on Tuesday wearing a brace on his right hand. According to Tim Healey of The Boston Globe, he “awkwardly used his left hand instead of shaking with his right like normal.”

Tracy shared that grip strength is the “biggest thing” the Red Sox are looking for when it comes to Anthony’s recovery.

“Mostly strengthening, and eventually we’ll get to strong gripping,” he said. “That’s the biggest thing for him, is gonna be when do we get to feel like the grip strength is there. When we get there, we’re in a better spot.”

With Anthony seemingly unlikely to return on Friday, it only strengthens the controversial argument NBC Sports Boston’s Michael Holley made regarding the Red Sox’ handling of injuries on Boston Sports Tonight.

“Let’s just be honest, all teams lie,” Holley said. “They lie about injuries, they just do. Tell me a forthcoming organization in this city when it comes to injuries.

“So when the Red Sox did it, like, why are you doing this? Why are you playing games with us? This is an unnecessary lie. We know you’re lying. He’s day-to-day. No he’s not!”

Red Sox outfielder Jarren Duran called out Holley for his take via his Instagram story on Monday, then deleted his account after receiving backlash. But with Anthony apparently not trending toward a prompt return, it looks like there may have been some truth to Holley’s comments — at least in this instance.

The Red Sox began a three-game series vs. the Phillies on Tuesday. If Anthony does return to the lineup on Friday, it would be in the series opener against the Braves in Atlanta.





Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version